Alumni Magazine

SPR-SUM 2018

The alumni magazine for Franklin Pierce University.

Issue link: https://franklinpierce.epubxp.com/i/972423

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 40 of 47

SPRING / SUMMER 2018 PIERCE 39 Godot," which he performed in his senior year, were abstract in nature, where storyline and performance didn't necessarily follow a straight line. As a junior, he directed " e Family Continues," an ambitious 17-minute sprint of a play in which six actors perform 74 diff erent roles that cover a 64-year period. e only stage furniture was a single bench; the cast played the other set pieces. "From the start the shows I've always liked doing are 80 percent written , and the other 20 percent have to be fi lled in," sa id Corriveau, who wrote his graduation thesis on Jean-Paul Sartre's "No Exit" and the use of existentialism in theater. "I don't want it all laid out for me," he laugh ed . "It causes sleep problems, but I've never been one to sleep much anyway." Since his time at Pierce, Corriveau's career has followed a wildly diverse path. A self-described "academic," he earned his M.A. and M.F.A. from the University of Maine and Lindenwood University, respectively. His experience in theater management has allowed him to fi nd employment with a diverse group of celebrities, from Hillary Clinton, whom he worked for in summer 1993 as an event coordinator to Gregory Hines , with whom he toured nationally as a dancer. He's also worked behind the curtain for Julie Andrews, Lily Tomlin, Ed Begley Jr. and Bill Cosby. Corriveau has taught classes on acting, dialects and theater history at schools and theaters across the country. He's toured and directed shows and performances throughout the United States and presented workshops at e Kennedy Center and created two programs for Virginia Opera in Norfolk, where he worked for more than a decade as its director of education and audience development. He's poured countless volunteer hours into helping education programs and smaller performance organizations. For the Little eatre of Norfolk, he directed a fundraising campaign that raised $500,000 in three years. Today, an annual $1,000 college scholarship for aspiring theater arts majors is named in his honor. On it goes. Corriveau's regular CV is a robust 47 pages. "And that's the short one," he quip ped . In spring 2016, Corriveau was hired by Busch Gardens eme Parks in Williamsburg. e work plays to both sides of his brain and his varied strengths. It's long on logistics and creativity. It's not Corriveau's job to conceive and build the park's shows, but it is to make sure they're implemented correctly. He supervises show operations and makes sure every performance is in line with Busch Gardens' exacting standards. Over the course of the park's core season, which runs from mid-March through September, the 48-year-old Corriveau is put in charge of nearly a thousand diff erent people. e responsibilities include seasonal performances — the Halloween shows alone require some 350 personnel — as well as events like the park's weekly concerts during the summer and bigger ticket shows featuring acts like Kool & the Gang. He oversees a big fi reworks display, a licensed Sesame Street show and come the holidays, "Rudolph's Winter Wonderland." It's the kind of behind-the-scenes work that knows no bounds. One hour he's on call to make sure lighting and staging is how it should be. e next he's directing performers on fi nding ways to stay fresh for the 500th performance of a particular show. "It's diff erent every day," sa id Corriveau, who lives in Norfolk, with his roommate and two adoring Yorkies. "Events change at the last minute. You always have to think ahead and think on the fl y. How do we maneuver when weather hits? What do you do if a performer gets hurt or sick? I like to say about 60 percent of it is certain and the rest is to be determined." In other words, it's just how Corriveau likes it. Life Outside the Box Clockwise from top right: In New Hampshire while at Pierce. Summer trip with some fellow members of the Class of '92 to Six Flags; Corriveau is center in the back row. Backstage at "The Boys From Syracuse," the spring musical performed Corriveau's senior year at Pierce.

Articles in this issue

view archives of Alumni Magazine - SPR-SUM 2018